Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Week 2 – Course So Far…

The Stomp Dance definitely stands out the strongest from week two. It was an experience like no other for sure. I had been excited about this part of the course since I first heard we would be going to one. Whenever someone would ask about the trip and what we would be doing, that was one of the first things that would spring to mind. The dinner we had when we first arrived was absolutely delicious, and the ritualistic nature of the serving process (with the men and guests going first, then the children, then the women) was fascinating to learn about. I have never been very religious, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I could really connect with the dance on a spiritual level. I felt like I was truly a part of the ceremony every time I danced around the fire, it was a good mood-setter. Since religion is normally a very private thing for most individuals, it was great to be welcomed so openly into their ceremony.

I did end up laying down to sleep later into the night, but the entire time I was laying in Vanessa’s hammock I wasn’t so much asleep as I was drifting. I could still hear the men chanting and women’s shakers, and I still felt caught up in the dance despite the fact that I wasn’t actually out there stomping around the fire. The final dance we all participated in (except for the women who were menstruating or pregnant) made me feel closer to everyone on the grounds that morning, it was a wonderful climatic ending. Throughout the night I learned a lot about from talking to members of the grounds, everyone was very generous and forthcoming. The whole experience was kind of surreal, but it was an experience I’ll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment