Monday, June 15, 2009

Dennis Sixkiller

We first met Dennis Sixkiller at the First Indian Baptist when he and other elders were having Bible study in Cherokee in Sunday School. I found this activity very moving, it was such an amazing example of how the Cherokees are trying to hold onto their culture by maintaining their language. The elders would read from the New Testament, and then they discussed it with us. I found the experience a very interesting look at the ways in which the Cherokees are holding onto their traditions and culture. And it was not the last time we would encounter Mr. Sixkiller.
I first learned about Cherokee Marbles in the book Ned Christie's War by Robert J. Conley, and when I read about it, it seemed easy. And then, of course, I got on the field, and people were passing me right and left, going on to hole after hole, and then coming back again. Even though I was not the most skilled Marbles (ask anyone else and they'll tell you that is a severe understatement!), I still had a great time playing. I thought that the game was really hard, but it was a great way to hang out and talk to Mr. Sixkiller, as well as everyone else. Even if I was the last person on my team to get done, and my team may or may not have lost because of me,I still had so much fun hanging out with my friends, and learning more about Cherokee culture through the game of Marbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment