Sunday, June 14, 2009

Post 11 - Final Overview

Summing up what I learned would take about three weeks because I learned something every day. It was really interesting comparing what we learned at the Cultural Heritage Center with what we learned through the history course taught by Julia Coates. For instance, we were told how violent and abusive the forced removal was at the Heritage Center. Then Julia demystified the experience as being something the Cherokees and soldiers anticipated and that the soldiers allowed the Cherokee to say one last prayer or water their gardens one last time. Then at the Heritage Center we were told at the end of the tour to close our eyes and imagine a baby ripped from its mother’s breast or a boy’s toy ripped from his arms, men and women yanked out of their beds. It wasn’t like that from what we discussed in our history class. Also, the soldiers weren’t on the trail with the Cherokees. The Cherokees went on their own accord and found their own way without any enforcement. It was really nice to know two different sides of the story. I feel a lot more informed and now better able to explain to others out in the world that may have a false impression.

I really liked becoming familiar with the syllabary and language. Although we didn’t get into the complex verbs and grammatical prepositions, we overviewed it and got a sense of how hard a class IV language can be. I think that my exposure to the language was helpful in learning how the Cherokees think and process the world. What I mean is that they are conscientious and methodical thinkers. It was impressive to see how the younger children in the Immersion School have fun with language and also are the future of the Cherokee People. Learning that the Eastern Band and the Cherokee Nation work together to create contemporary words and conceptualize them into their already know words was interesting. I really appreciated that day and learning about the language in general. To go along with the Cherokee Nation’s educational efforts was our experience with the Sequoyah High School. What an amazing facility. I could see the future of the Cherokee people by touring that school. What a special place and I am sure it will produce special people.

One thing that bothered me the entire time was the attitude and efforts toward green living and recycling. I think I saw one recycling bin in NSU’s seminary hall. But in the Conference Area where we had our history course there was only a place for cans, no plastic, no paper, etc. I think that the Cherokee Nation has so much to deal with and establish on a social level that recycling is the last thing. In my opinion it should be the first. I initiated a small clean-up effort when a couple of us were at the Sequoyah City Park. I said that we should pick up ten pieces of trash each before we left. Four out of the five of us did just that. It felt good to help clean up the park. I think next year a volunteer clean-up effort of a specific area in need should be incorporated into the program.

I’ve only touched on a very small part of the experience I had at the Cherokee Nation and what I learned. There’s just so much. I took so many notes and will be reflecting upon everything for the rest of my life. I can certainly see how useful all the information will be to me in my future as I plan to continue working in the humanities. One last thing I have to say is that I still crave Dr. Fife’s wild onions and fried bread. Thanks to everyone, it certainly was a special experience for me.

1 comment: