Monday, June 8, 2009

Ned Christie's War

Ned Christie’s War was a light read compared to the other two books for the course. If I were to choose one book to drop or replace with something else from our course materials, this would be it, but I definitely think it has merits through revealing the issues of jurisdiction in the Indian Territory in the late nineteenth century. Much of the emphasis of this course has been on Cherokee history, and the other two readings we have for the course emphasize the modern Cherokee nation or the recent political history of the nation. I know that Mankiller incorporates the history of the Cherokees since before contact with Europeans, but I feel like it emphasizes the modern Cherokee Nation as a destination. I feel like a nonfiction history book to be read before the course would help put things into context a lot better if it were included. If it is not too long, one of the Angie Debo books would be good reading for this course.

Ned Christie’s War itself helped show me a Cherokee perception of the history of Indian Territory at this particular time, but the book left me with more questions than answers. What did Ned Christie symbolize to the Cherokee population? How was he significant? I have also heard clashing reviews of “Hanging Judge Parker.” He was portrayed as somewhat of a malicious man, but it is true that he went after many white outlaws that were plaguing the Indian Territory at the time. Is there another side to that story?

No comments:

Post a Comment