Sunday, June 14, 2009

Post 9 - Overall Experience

I am proud to be one of the first students to intimately explore the Cherokee Nation. I have confidence that this program can only get better and better. Its potential I have seen and experienced and want to help further its longevity.

It’s difficult to sum up everything that I’ve done and learned in a blog post. The three weeks have gone by so fast. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing or neither. The time spent here was so productive that it made the time go by fast. Sometimes I had to stop and take a breath or look at some beautiful blooming summer flowers to refocus. The whirlwind tour of Tahlequah and surrounding area complemented the tornado-prone state of Oklahoma (Choctaw for ‘Red People’). I often felt like I was caught up in a tornado.

I was impressed by the people and commitment to welcoming us everywhere we went. The Heritage Center was first and what a nice tour, then there was Marshal Service, people like Harry, Ed, Kinsey, Dr. Fife, Wyman, Councilman Baker, Travis, Chris, Dedi, Dalala, Sedelta, the Fosters, the Youngs, Freeman, Keetoowah’s, Sterlin Harjo, IHS, Child Welfare Services, the list goes on.

The most exciting and engaging parts were the ones that gave some freedom to them. For example, one day a few of us went exploring around Tahlequah and discovered the “Where the Red Fern Grows” statue. Then we took some time to play on the swings, jungle-jim, and merry-go-round in Sequoyah City Park. Eating at Sam and Ella’s or the Iguana CafĂ© was convenient and good. Playing stickball on campus or swimming and volleyball were all independently arranged. All these extra activities, that weren’t planned or on the schedule were the best. A few of us discovered shaved ice trailers and indulged on a hot evening in some sugar-infused flavored ice. I wanted to try the dill pickle flavor but never got to.

Then there were the evenings when Kinsey taught us how to make corn husk dolls and double-weave baskets. I gave them away as one is supposed to do with crafts made for the first time, but the experience and understanding of Cherokee life and experience was further deepened in my mind by these activities.

My two favorite scheduled events were visiting the Will Rogers museum and touring Picher, OK. I think that everyone should learn about the Superfund Site and all that is involved with environmental problems and native culture. Tar Creek was a mess and the vicinity was dead but we are still alive and healthy and perfectly capable at looking at the situation in a positive way to change and make changes. This was the most emotional and educational part of the experience for me on all different levels. It was such a pleasure to meet Rebecca Jim and to see and feel and hear in her voice, the impact the area has on the people, and on just one activist. Her efforts are needed and she has such an open heart and mind that it’s beyond inspirational.

Overall, the course was well worth all my time and money. I would do it all again and again. Every summer will be a different experience but having Tol Foster there was the most helpful. His connections to people and places and intellectual perspectives changed my perspective on the United States and the Native American Experience. I love this country and hate it all at the same time; the diversity and humanity are worth seeing in person and coming to understand in a whole new way and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment