Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cherokee Study Abroad Final Blog Post

Today, I had my first experience attempting to correct misconceptions that people have about the Cherokee. I found myself attacking each misconception with a flood of the information I took away from this course, but I really didn't have a central point to my arguments. It is much too soon for me to reflect on what I did, what I saw, what I learned in the Cherokee Nation and to see some central theme to it all. I'll have to think about the experience a lot longer before that becomes apparent to me.

As an academic overview, I think we definitely covered as many of the bases of Cherokee culture and history as we possibly could have in three weeks. We learned about Cherokee history, government, law, social services, sports, religion, infrastructure, economy, education, health care, and current controversies. As someone who knew nothing about the Cherokee except for the limited (and somewhat incorrect) facts I was taught in middle and high school, I feel that after three weeks, I have a solid grasp on Cherokee culture, history, and how that history has led to the current issues in the Cherokee Nation.

For next year, I would incorporate a couple of hours more of language instruction, with some of that time devoted to writing in syllabary. I felt that was the only element missing academically. Also, I would incorporate more free time next year. I think anyone who spent a significant time with the folks from NSU would agree that the interactions with them are some of the most important things we'll be taking away from this trip. And the students next year should not be surprised when people talk to them on the street or in restaurants.

It will probably take me a month, or a few months even, to be able to put everything that I learned and that happened in Oklahoma, on the way there, and on the way back into some sort of perspective. But if I have to end with something right now, which I do, it's that almost every day something happened that by itself would have made the entire three weeks worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment