Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Cherokee Nation history course taught by Dr. Coates was edifying despite its one-sidedness. The anthropological survey of the Cherokees from the first weekend was particularly insightful. Information about the matrilineal clan system and about how the people lived pre-contact has provided me with a strong base for everything else I have learned in Oklahoma.

My only real complaint is that Coates’ lectures were (understandably) one-sided, or as Jessi put it, “nationalistic.” Coates’ audience is typically entirely made up of Cherokee Nation employees, so it is not surprising that she, as a Cherokee, is mainly representing the Cherokee side of history. I am glad, therefore, that we have had the opportunity to meet with people with different perspectives, such as the Freedmen and the UKB. As a course on the Cherokee Nation, it is equally important to cover the history of the people from the inside as well as from the outside.

We committed a lot of time to the course (our only two weekends), which some people have complained about. Personally, Coates’ course was essential to my learning here in Oklahoma – I was able to get a precise and concise history of the Cherokees from someone who is truly an expert in her field. The things I learned in Coates class I will take with me back to North Carolina and have definitely helped carry me through the rest of this course. Learning about the Cherokee in the Coates course enabled me to get more out of many of the experiences that I have had here, such as the stomp dance, the game of marbles, our visit to the UKB and Freedmen – the list goes on. Basically, I think that the history course is an essential part of the Cherokee Nation course despite the large time commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment