Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Final Report

The experience was outstanding. I cannot remember a time that I have learned so much, so fast, in such an experiential way (the best way to learn). I loved learning about the contemporary Cherokee up close, face to face, with legitimate contemporary Cherokees and making lasting relationships with them as it went. I look forward to informing my friends about this quasi-sovereign culture working within our country's borders and hopefully aid the American Indian cause because knowledge is power, baby. That reminds me of one aspect of the course I wish was slightly different. That would be the tunnel vision focus on strictly the Cherokees. I would have liked it if we were at least informed upon most everything we learned about the Cherokee whether or not other tribes did the same, because there is a lot of overlap. I feel that incorporation of this global approach would make the course fuller and more useful.
The stomp dance was absolutely the best experience of the trip. That was amazing, I wrote about it in another blog though so I'll leave it at that. The other two experiences that stand out brilliantly were the stickball game and marbles. Genuine Cherokee/Indian activities, and getting to do them ourselves, just as Indians past and present do (for the most part). And the Coates lectures were outstanding as well. As for the language, I'm glad we learned it, and it is important that we learn it, but something felt lacking or wrong about the way we went about doing it... can't put my finger on it. The last week was really cool with the higher level topics such as the freedmen and the child welfare and the UKB splinter. Learning about the superfund site on Quapaw grounds was absolutely awesome to see. Meeting with other groups such as the UArkansas and the UGA kids really gave some personality and juice to the trip. Made it better. Some of the 'higher level' topic didn't seem quite as relevant such as the Optometry school and the Will Rogers tour, but all the same, those were two of my favorite events, and variety is the spice of life/learning/avoiding boredom.

Negs- The biggest negative was probably having too much stuff and getting burnt out starting around the middle of week two (a lot b/c week one was so intense). At the same time, I'm glad we did so much, but I would still consider it the biggest issue that was obviously pretty universal for most of us during the trip. Aside from fatigue, it made some of the smaller readings due within the trip very difficult to complete. Other negs... Many of the speakers/learnings were biased. On the whole, I think there should be more guidance/explanations of what is going on and perhaps quizzes of information not necessarily for a grade but for self-checks and reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment